Within residential facilities, there is a growing trend to provide pet-friendly amenities such as dog washing areas. Like pets, they come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
In addition to being on an accessible route, here are some accessibility guidelines when providing this amenity:
- If the pet spa is located within a room:
- The door is required to provide minimum 32” clear width.
- Maneuvering clearance is required on both sides of the door.
- Minimum 60” turning space is required.
- A visual alarm is required.
- The controls for each different item such as the faucet, blow dryer, shampoo dispenser, etc. are required to be:
- Operable with one hand without tight grasping, pinching or twisting of the wrist.
- Located within accessible reach range (either 48” AFF or 54” AFF depending on the state in which the he project is located).
- If the tub controls are located either along the back wall or the reach is deeper than 10”, the maximum allowable height for the controls is 46” AFF.
- Have minimum 30” x 48” clear floor space.
- The floor surface may have a drain and the slope at the required clear floor space should not exceed 2%. Whenever possible, the drain should not be located near the tub controls.
- If additional accessories such as vending machines are provided, then the controls:
- Must be operable and within accessible reach range.
- Must have a minimum 30” x 48” clear floor space.
Are you seeing pet spas and dog washing stations at your properties?